Clinical faculty members are practicing health professionals. More than 10,000 clinical faculty members contribute to the vision of the Faculty of Medicine and they make significant contributions in administration, professional development, and translational and clinical research.
Important Information for Your Role
There are many advantages and benefits to being Clinical Faculty at UBC, both personal and academic. They range from discounts at the UBC Bookstore and Apple products to faculty development and ethics approvals. It all starts with getting your Campus-Wide Login (CWL), which verifies your identity and provides access to most of UBC’s online systems.
If you would like to be considered for reappointment and promotion, it’s important to track your teaching activities through the Teaching Tracking and Payment System (TTPS). You can also review the criteria for promotion in the Policy on Clinical Faculty Appointments document.
Campus-Wide Login (CWL)
The University’s Campus Wide Log-in (CWL) ID is required to access various system services that will support you in your role, including your TTPS quarterly statements, Workday (UBC’s HR and finance system), the Library, and other online UBC resources.
If you do not have a CWL:
- One will be generated for you automatically once your hire is completed in Workday.
- Please look out for an email from AccessUBC with further instructions on activating your CWL.
- Once activated, please log into Workday to validate your personal information and contact information.
More information can be found on the CWL website. If you encounter any issues regarding your CWL please out to contact the IT Service Centre at 604.822.2008.
Advantages and Benefits of a Clinical Faculty Appointment
There are many personal services and perks to being Clinical Faculty, including:
- UBC Library access
- Reciprocal parking agreements
- UBC Bookstore discounts
- Discounts on Apple hardware and software
- Health, fitness, and family discounts
- Business Cards
- Faculty Development
- Centre for Health Education Scholarship (CHES)
- Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology (CTLT)
- UBC Continuing Professional Development (UBC CPD)
- Ethics approvals
- Financial services
- Industry sponsored research
- Clinical trial administration
- Grant development
- Mobilization process
- Support Programs to Advance Research Capacity (SPARC)
The UBC Office of Clinical Faculty Affairs has produced a downloadable PDF guide to the Advantages of a Clinical Faculty Appointment outlining benefits, services and resources for Clinical Faculty members. For additional information, visit the UBC Clinical Faculty Affairs website.
Teaching Activities and the Teaching Tracking and Payment Systems (TTPS)
Teaching activities and evaluations are an important consideration in reappointment and promotion reviews, so we encourage you to maintain a current record of both.
For promotion criteria, review the Policy on Clinical Faculty Appointments.
The Teacher Tracking and Payment System (TTPS) captures your MD Undergraduate Program teaching contributions. If you have been assigned teaching during the quarter, you will receive an e-mail with a link to your quarterly statement shortly after the end of the quarter. We encourage you to review the teaching on the statement by the due date provided and keep track of postgraduate and other academic contributions manually.
Record of your Academic Activities
You are responsible for maintaining a current record of your teaching, research and administrative activities in the form of a CV. This CV must be prepared in UBC CV format if you hold the rank of clinical assistant professor or above.
We have created a UBC CV Guide and Instructions available on the Department of Medicine website to guide you in filling out your UBC CV. You agree to make such documents available to the Department Head and Division Head, and to other duly authorized representatives of UBC upon request.
Clinical Faculty Appointment Policies
As stated in the FOM Application for Clinical Faculty Appointment, your appointment is subject to certain terms and conditions including the:
- Policy on Clinical Faculty Appointments
- Dispute Resolution Process for Clinical Faculty
- Clinical Faculty Compensation Terms for Teaching in the MD Undergraduate and Postgraduate Programs
- Clinical Faculty Compensation Terms for Standing Committees and Search Committees for Senior Leadership
If you have inquiries about your clinical faculty appointment or require any updates or changes to your contact information, please contact HR Assist