The FD-LGL initiative is not trying to standardize what teachers are doing in large group sessions, rather the goal is to advocate for a scholarly and pragmatic approach to the design, delivery, and assessment of teaching in UGME sessions.
The UGME Policy:
These primers are compliant with UGME Policy #025 Faculty Development for Lecturers requiring all faculty who deliver lectures/large group sessions to complete mandatory faculty development.
The FD-LGL initiative consists of an online primer arranged into three pillar areas (shown below) and require approximately 1 hour to complete in total. MOC Section 3 and Mainpro+ credits are available upon completion of all three primers (see below for more details). To view, the primers require the latest version of Chrome, Safari and Firefox browsers. Click on any of the 3 pillars below to start.
The University of British Columbia Division of Continuing Professional Development (UBC CPD) is fully accredited by the Committee on Accreditation of Continuing Medical Education (CACME) to provide study credits for continuing medical education for physicians. This activity is an Accredited Self-Assessment Program (Section 3) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification Program (MOC) of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, and approved by UBC CPD. You may claim a maximum of 1.0 hours (credits are automatically calculated). This Self Learning program meets the certification criteria of the College of Family Physicians of Canada and has been certified by UBC CPD for up to 1.0 Mainpro+ credits. Each physician should claim only those credits he/she actually spent in the activity.
Please only claim credits after all three primers are completed.
- Complete the Large Group Learning Primers, log your completion, and sign up for peer-coaching. The sign-up forms can be found at the end of each primer.
- Sign-up with a peer-partner or be matched with a partner based on your lecture dates and availability.
- Identify your personal goals for the program using the worksheet provided.
- Attend an in-person orientation session to learn about the coaching process, the value of peer coaching, and meet your peer coach partner.
- Attend your peer coach partner’s large group session and provide feedback using the worksheet provided.
- Meet over the phone or in-person and provide each other with feedback after you and your partner have observed each other’s large group sessions. The program requires a time commitment of approximately four hours over six months.
- Fill out a final reflection on your change in teaching and receive a certificate signed by your faculty development lead upon completion of the program.
Interested faculty can learn more about how to participate in a confidential, peer-review of their large group learning session by entering their contact information below.