Residents may be required to teach early on in their residency. To help new residents gain confidence in their teaching approach, the Office of Faculty Development has created the RaT Fundamentals, which is a mandatory 2-module course that is an interactive combination of video, reflective questions, knowledge checks and downloadable tools. This course provides a foundation for residents to build upon through their teaching journeys. It includes the following components:
- Orienting to the role of teacher
- Effective observation and feedback
- Strategies for clinical teaching
- Assessing learners
- Supporting healthy learning environments and teacher-learner relationships
RaT Fundamentals is mandatory for all incoming residents to UBC.
- Module Part 1: Residents to complete July 1-Aug 15
- Module Part 2: Residents to complete Nov 1-Dec 15
Residents will access the modules through Entrada. The Office of Faculty Development will reach out to programs with instructions and deadline to pass onto residents. Completion of the modules will be tracked by the Office.