This program is designed to equip teachers in the Medical and Health Sciences with the skills they need to teach effectively. Faculty Development experts design the learning objectives to meet the needs of each particular context.
The program’s flexible development and delivery promotes innovation while establishing a standard of teaching expertise across BC.
This topic is broken into three workshops: Small Group, Clinical, and Large Group Settings. To complete the Core program, attendance in one of the three is required.
- Use strategies to maximize the learning opportunities specific to the context (small group, clinical, large group)
- Integrate learner’s educational history and goals in the educational plan
- Orient learner to educational plan and objectives of the learning experience
- Match content and responsibility to the level of the learner
Advance learners through effective educational alliances, feedback and reflective processes.
- Establish conditions for effective feedback and reflection
- Apply principles for transformative feedback
- Discuss tools to facilitate feedback conversations
Facilitate clinical reasoning appropriate to the learner’s stage.
- Explain current concepts underpinning clinical reasoning
- Differentiate approaches to clinical reasoning across the learning continuum
- Target teaching to the level of the learner
- Use effective questioning to elicit clinical reasoning
Provide formative and summative assessment with attention to validity and reliability.
- Compare and contrast formative and summative assessment
- Discuss the relationship of formative to summative feedback
- Use practices in delivering narrative feedback
- Incorporate direct observation into feedback
Optimize learner and teacher relationships and support learners in difficulty.
- Describe characteristics of healthy relationships (UBC professional standards) and boundaries
- Awareness of (mis)treatment and its impact
- Recognizing a student in difficulty
- Awareness of cognitive and non-cognitive contributory factors
- Adequately utilize resources for student support