The Faculty/ Resident Development Initiatives Grant (FRDIG) is designed to support projects that improve the quality of teaching in the Faculty of Medicine.
Call for Proposals! The 2020-2021 Call for FRDIG Applications is now open!
Submit your Letter of Intent here!
- May 07, 2021: Applications are open at the 2021 Annual Medical Education Day
- May 31, 2021: Letter of Intent due by 8:00pm
- June 21, 2021: Successful applicants invited to full application stage
- July 05, 2021: Full Application due by 8:00pm
- July 15-16, 2021: Successful applicants are notified
For the 2021 grant competition, we are looking for projects with a focus on medical education innovation and research. The project should explicitly relate to faculty development / Resident as Teachers and meet one of the following identified areas of need:
Innovation and Research Topics
- Respectful environments, Equity Diversity and Inclusion
- Learning relationships
- Direct observation and feedback
- Teacher in difficulty
- Tools for assessment of teaching
- Peer mentoring or coaching
- Teaching clinical reasoning and clinical decision making
- Other topics *may* be considered
Deliverable’s package should include:
- For innovation-focused projects
- One or more resources (such as a teaching tool, evaluation tool, video, module, etc.)
- A handbook, facilitation guide, or workshop guide outlining how to use the resource
- Results from evaluating the resource or workshop
- A strategy to adapt materials so they can be used as a general faculty development resource once the grant lifecycle is completed
- For research-focused projects
- Results that advance faculty development related theory, pedagogy, or methodology
- An outline of how the research results can be applied to faculty development practice
- A publication or conference presentation?
Projects will be provided to a maximum of $5,000, with a project lifecycle of up to 2 years (24 months). Projects targeting the strategic directions above, multiple stakeholders across departments and/or sites, and those with broad applicability will be preferred. Please note the administrative management of funding will be the responsibility of the grant recipient.
Applicants must hold a current faculty (academic or clinical) appointment in the Faculty of Medicine, UBC or one of its collaborating partners. Clinical Educator Fellows in the Centre for Health Education Scholarship (CHES) who hold a current UBC Faculty of Medicine appointment (academic or clinical), Postgraduate Residents or Fellows are also eligible.
Selection Criteria: Applications must…
- Make a contribution to the teaching support done by the Office of Faculty Development
- Support the mandate of the Office of Faculty Development
- Be feasible (i.e. can be done with the budget and time available)
- Outline how their project will be transferable
- (Residents) must ensure they complete the project by the end of their residency and have a Program Director or sponsor endorse the application
- No stipends for Principal Investigator and/or Co-investigators
- Only up to 10% of funds may be intended to support travel, attendance at courses or conferences
Questions and further information
If you wish to discuss your ideas before submitting an application, please contact the Office of Faculty Development at email@example.com.
Click here to view 2019-2020 winning projects.
If you have questions or wish to discuss your ideas before submitting an application, please contact the Office of Faculty Development at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 604-675-3783.
Descriptions of previous grant winners’ projects can be found here!